[R-sig-Geo] Issues with unionSpatialPolygons on Ubuntu

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jun 6 21:00:14 CEST 2010

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Kenneth Takagi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've cross posted with r-sig-debian since they may be an issue for linux
> (never had this problem on my windows machine...) I recently made the
> switch to Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid), and found that unionSpatialPolygons()
> gives me the following error when trying to combine polygons within a
> shapefile:

Did you check that the package versions on Linux and Windows were the same
(they were not, hence the difference)?

> # Read in shapefile and merge polygons
> foo <- readShapePoly("foo.shp", proj4string = CRS("+init=epsg:2272"))
> IDs <- as.character(foo$ID)
> SP_out <- unionSpatialPolygons(foo, IDs)
> Error: isTRUE(gpclibPermitStatus()) is not TRUE

Googling on "R gpclibPermit" takes you to the explanation (second hit),
with the posting on this list's archives at:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2010-May/008206.html

So set gpclibPermit() to TRUE to use gpclib, or try again to install
rgeos (which has an external dependency), which is work in progress, so
may not install cleanly when lots of changes are in progress (which is
the case at the moment).

Hope this helps,

Roger