[R-sig-Geo] maptools and rgeos

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu May 6 10:08:58 CEST 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Ben Madin wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> Please excuse my not finding this, but having just upgraded maptools,
> there appears to be some issue over gpclib - not looking for trouble, I
> installed rgeos from r-forge, and it seems to be loadable, but loading
> maptools I still get the following message.
>
>> library(rgeos)
> GEOS runtime version: 3.2.0-CAPI-1.6.0
>> library(maptools)
>
> 	Note: polygon geometry computations in maptools
> 	depend on the package gpclib, which has a
> 	restricted licence. It is disabled by default;
> 	to enable gpclib, type gpclibPermit()
>
> Checking rgeos availability as gpclib substitute:
> FALSE
>>

> Have I missed something on installation?(I'm using William Kyngesbury's
> GEOS Frameworks)

No, thanks for taking this up, and for attention to detail. Both maptools
and spatstat now warn explicitly about the license problems with gpclib.
We had hoped to have rgeos ready by now, but interfacing GEOS has turned
out to be harder than anticipated.

The maptools development code had been modified to use rgeos if available
- by a call to require(), and the inclusion of rgeos in the Suggests:
field in the package metadata. Before rgeos had been advanced to release
status, a serious problem was spotted (by Brian Ripley) in the maptools C
code for reading GSHHS files, triggering a premature release. In this
premature release, as can be seen in the ChangeLog:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/maptools/ChangeLog

rgeos was hidden, and all links were commented out. Until rgeos is ready
for returning to Suggests: status, use of the "drop in" rgeos functions
has to be manual, so instead of say unionSpatialPolygons() in maptools,
use unionSpatialPolygonsGEOS() in rgeos (and look at the examples on the
help page, trying them out to see that the rounding problem has now been
resolved).

R has (once again) had deserved success in the Google Summer of Coding,
and rgeos is one of the projects that has been adopted. Some of the
original difficulties have now been resolved, and I hope that the package
will be greatly improved compared with my "muddling through" first cut at
the GEOS interface.

Hope this clarifies things a little,

Roger