[R-sig-Geo] distance problem in GWR

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Feb 1 18:26:13 CET 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Servet Ahmet Cizmeli wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am about to perform a GWR analysis using measurements collected at sea
> onboard a ship. Some of the stations are located at opposite sides of an
> island or within adjacent bays... Measuring bird's flight distances between
> the stations do not make sense at all those cases.
>
> Is there any way to presently instruct the R's implementation of GWR that
> the distances are to be measured along sea-ways? This would probably
> necessitate the concurrent input of a land mask (or polygon).
>
> As I presume the answer of the above question is NO (no mention of it
> anywhere in the GWR documentation), I would like to know how difficult
> would it be to add that functionality for a r-novice like me.

Look at the fish swims thread on this list recently:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2010-January/007472.html

You'll see that several participants suggested using MDS to convert the
non-Euclidic distance matrix to a 2-column coordinate matrix
"representing" the relative position of the observations. You could use
those with GWR, I think. It wouldn't be exact, but at least closer to your
reality than bird flies.

Roger