[R-sig-Geo] distance problem in GWR

Danlin Yu yud at mail.montclair.edu
Mon Feb 1 15:43:47 CET 2010

Servet:

I am afraid that your speculation about alternative calculations of the
distance is not implemented in the current SPGWR. Depending on how the
sea-way distance is determined (the bird's flight distance is basically
an Euclidean distance and can be formulated rather easily in R. If it is
the case for sea-ways (easy to formulate), then I don't think the
functionality is hard to add (adding alternative distance calculations
in the coding). You are more than welcome to contribute to the code.

Cheers,
Danlin

Servet Ahmet Cizmeli ??:
> Hello all,
>
> I am about to perform a GWR analysis using measurements collected at sea
> onboard a ship. Some of the stations are located at opposite sides of an
> island or within adjacent bays... Measuring bird's flight distances between
> the stations do not make sense at all those cases.
>
> Is there any way to presently instruct the R's implementation of GWR that
> the distances are to be measured along sea-ways? This would probably
> necessitate the concurrent input of a land mask (or polygon).
>
> As I presume the answer of the above question is NO (no mention of it
> anywhere in the GWR documentation), I would like to know how difficult
> would it be to add that functionality for a r-novice like me.
>
> thanks
> Servet

Danlin Yu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of GIS and Urban Geography
Department of Earth & Environmental Studies
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ, 07043
Tel: 973-655-4313
Fax: 973-655-4072