[R-sig-Geo] Installation of rgdal from CRAN on MACOSX does not work

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Dec 29 16:02:01 CET 2010

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Agustin Lobo wrote:

> While the installation from
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/files/software/frameworks/rgdal-0.6.29-1.zip
> works fine
> the installation of rgdal from CRAN on MACOSX does not work, despite
> my previous message that this issue was solved as well

Please do read the error message:

>  unable to load shared object

'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.12/Resources/library/rgdal/libs/i$

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.12/Resources/library/rgdal$
> 6): Library not loaded: libR.dylib
>  Referenced from:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.12/Resources/library/rgdal/libs/i3$
>  Reason: image not found

The image that is not found is libR.dylib, the main R dylib against which
rgdal.so is linked. So this is still an issue of your R installation,
possibly a multi-architecture issue (is libR.dylib the i386 version,
guessing - is libR64.dylib the 64-bit Intel version?).

Could any OSX users who are using CRAN extra rgdal please help Agus to
resolve this - it could be that local path modifications are hiding
libR.dylib, or that R was installed 64-bit only, and the INSTALL_opts=
argument to install.packages() was not set correctly? I assume that the
CRAN extras OSX rgdal binary is built against a standard R OSX Intel
install, which is multi-architecture.

For a fully updated rgdal, the best combination remains installing the
full GDAL framework from Kyngchaos, the full tools collection:

http://r.research.att.com/tools/
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools

and install from CRAN source. For a lab, the instructor would rather build
a local OSX rgdal binary package using the tools collection on one
development machine with all the correct path variables set (R CMD check
rgdal; R CMD INSTALL --build rgdal), paying attention to
multi-architectures, and distribute to lab machines from there. This means
that the lab instructor can keep rgdal updated if need be, as both
Kyngchaos and CRAN extras rgdal OSX binary packages typically lag CRAN
source.

Please also note that there are very many very old GDAL binaries out there
that users pick up and apply, missing all the subsequent bug-fixes and
improvements - GDAL 1.8.0 release candidate 1 is now out, so we are
looking at an upgrade to 1.8.0 during January, which Kyngchaos will most
likely pick up quickly, probably with a current rgdal binary.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no