[R-sig-Geo] [R] Drawing Maps of detailed Australian regions

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Dec 16 09:52:45 CET 2010

On 12/15/2010 09:22 PM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
>   Ah okay - feel free to ask on the r-sig-geo mailing list. It should
> be trivial for Linux and Windows systems, I think there are some
> issues with Mac OS, but the boys on r-sig-geo will be helpful assuming
> you've had a go yourself first according to the instructions!

Hi Barry,
I found lots of messages on r-sig-geo with the same sad story. I then
tried to install GDAL with yum (the generic Linux binary gave me

gdal-config: command not found

  and yum got me over that hurdle. Then I got the

"can't find libproj.a"

and in the desperation of a man up to his neck, I used yum to install

proj-devel.i686

just for the heck of it and _then_ I was able to install rgdal. I'm
using Fedora 12 and R-2.10.1 if anyone else out there is having the same
problem(s).

Jim