[R-sig-Geo] assertion failure on call to r.cost & v.what.rast

Colin Bleay Colin.bleay at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Dec 15 17:59:00 CET 2010

I am running a script in R that calls functions in grass from a
iterative loop.

This works fine but every so often I get an assertion failure.

This does not appear to be a function of the data I am sending to the
grass executable.

The assertion failure throws up a window allowing me to 'abort', 'retry'
or 'ignore'.

If i 'retry' it then asks me to close the program (the grass executable)
and then the R script carries on as usual. i.e. the retry works and I
will end up with all my data.

The problem i have is that I wish to let this r script run over night
but i cannot as I have to be there to supervise it, to 'retry' the commands.

so my questions are:

1. Does any body have any idea why these assertion failures are occuring?
2. Does anybody have any idea how I might be able to catch these
failures so that I can get R to retry the grass executable rather than
myself.

the error the grass executable throws is:

"Assertion failed!
Program: C\GRASS_64\bin\RCOST~1.EXE
File:r:\pismere\athena\auth\krb5\scr\li..\g_initialize.c
Line:76

Expression: (&(&g_mechListLock)->os)->is_locked==1"