[R-sig-Geo] anisotropic models vs. detrending

Kerry Ritter kerryr at sccwrp.org
Sat Aug 21 00:45:09 CEST 2010

Hi. I was wondering which model you would tend to choose given similar
cross validation results.
1. An isotropic model with linear trend
2. An anisotropic model
Assume linear trend is ~x + y + I(x*y), where x,y are spatial coordinates.

I have read papers that argue that unless you know how to interpret the
linear trend (from a phyiscal/geographical/biological point of view) it
is better NOT to detrend the data prior to fitting a variogram.  On the
other hand, one must ultimately assume stationarity. So I am not sure
which way to go.  How do you decide?

Thanks,
Kerry

--