[R-sig-Geo] spRbind for spplot

Klaus Vormoor kvormoor at uni-bonn.de
Tue Aug 17 15:06:30 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I have an object (rtopObj3) including the SpatialPolygonDataFrames with
runoff observations ($observations, "QNORM_12_4") for 100 gauged catchments
and with predictions ($predictions, "var1.pred") for more than ungauged
2,000 catchments. So far, I only can plot either the observations or the
predictions individually:

> spplot(rtopObj3$observations, "QNORM_12_4", col.regions = bpy.colors())
> spplot(rtopObj3$predictions, "var1.pred", col.regions = bpy.colors())

I want to create one map showing both. I tried the sp.layout argument
without success. But since I also want to have both information combined for
writing a shp-file, it may be more reasonable to use spRbind and do the plot
later on. I unsuccessfully tried:

> observation = rtopObj3$observations
> prediction = rtopObj3$predictions
> rtopObj4 <- spRbind(observation, prediction)
Error in rbind(deparse.level, ...) :
  numbers of columns of arguments do not match

Does anyone know a way out?
Thanks for every advice,

Klaus