[R-sig-Geo] Trouble installing rgdal

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 03:49:05 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
<ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having trouble install rgdal. I am using
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
> and having the problem shown below when I try to install
> rgdal.

I found a different set of configure switches that worked.  In case
anyone has the same problem this is what I used
(and also I recompiled expat and sqlite and followed instructions
under Setting System Library Path in
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/contrib/gis/install/
)

download and detar proj and gdal.

For proj-4.7.0 :
 ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static
--libdir=/usr/local/lib64 --with-expat=/usr/local/lib
make
make install

For gdal-1.7.2 :
./configure --enable-shared --disable-static --libdir=/usr/local/lib64
--with-expat=/usr/local/lib -with-sqlite3=/usr/local/lib
make
make install

These are not the same switches I used last time so it seems it can
vary a lot from one system to another.