[R-sig-Geo] geoR likfit: confusing AIC results?

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr paulojus at c3sl.ufpr.br
Sat Aug 14 22:26:07 CEST 2010

Dear Thimothy

I will have a ore detailed look at your study to inspect this better.

However, I'd like to points some issues I've detected in a first glence to
you code:

1. your area is of the size 6000x6000
This is related with distances and order of magnitude of the parameters,
in particular to phi.
Since you total variances are around 3 the maximization may need some
tunung for dealing with different oreders or magnitude

    1.a a simple suggestion would be replace 6000 by 6 and see whether it
        change the estimates
    1.b an alternative would be to pass values of fnscale to the optimizer
(optim) through the appropriated ... mechanism

2. Notice that summary() on a likfit object (or elements of the list)
already give you the fit and likelihood values for the pure nugget
(independence) model such that you do not need to run the maximizer over
it

best
P.J.

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratorio de Estatistica e Geoinformacao)
Universidade Federal do Parana
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990
Curitiba, PR  -  Brasil