[R-sig-Geo] your mail

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Aug 9 14:06:05 CEST 2010

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, Sabira el Messlaki wrote:

> Dear Roger,
>
> What do you mean by using correlation= argument to lme() to fit a model
> including within-group correlations?

You do need to read the help page to look for the specification og
"argument". Reading the book refered to on the help page may be a good
idea too.

> I tried it like this: model3.fit <- lme(y ~
> x3+x5+x7+x9+LnBankt500+Perceelkwaliteit+LnNS_Afstand+PGebouwd+LogoBedrijf+Bouwjaar_cat4+LnBanIndDistr500,
> random = ~1|GebID ,correlation=argument, datashab, method = "REML")
>
> But this does not seem to work. What is the reason that nobody developed
> a moran's I for an lme object?

You have specified a random group effect. Consequently, the standard
OLS relationship between the projection matrix of the included variables
and the residuals does not hold. You can calculate Moran's I, but there is
no theory to tell you whether it is significant or not. The formulae for
the expectation and variance of the statistic need changing, and if they
are not changed, the results will be misleading.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no