[R-sig-Geo] how to do randomly sampling in raster layer

caspar hallmann caspar.hallmann at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 11:15:55 CEST 2010

Dear Mao,

You can use function rpoint from spatstat, after converting your
raster object into a pixel image.

consider the following:

library(raster)
library(spatstat)
library(maptools)
library(sp)

# An arbitrary raster
r <- raster(system.file("external/test.grd", package="raster"))
# plot it
image(r)

# convert to SpatialGridDataFrame
r.spgrd<-as(r,"SpatialGridDataFrame")
r.spgrd$constant<-ifelse(is.na(r.spgrd[[1]]),NA,1)
# ...this to ensure an equal weight to each non-NA cell

# convert to im
r.im<-as.im(r.spgrd["constant"])

# sample points according to constant
r.points<-rpoint(100,r.im)