[R-sig-Geo] error in errorsarlm

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Aug 1 16:00:59 CEST 2010

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Nikhil Kaza wrote:

> example(errorsarlm)

Right!

Or any other available dataset that mirrors the application case, which
seems to be ecological, but crucially has point or cell support in decimal
degrees with very large differences in distances between observations. You
are right that packages include lots of example data sets, and that they
are the place to start. In addition, the case is large, but the example
should not be, so that all the other problems can be eliminated first
before trying to scale up to moderate N (about 4000 if I recall
correctly).

The main problem is that the spatial process is conceptualised as
contagious in distance, and that the distance threshold is chosen to
ensure that all observations have at least one neighbour. This doesn't
seem helpful as many observations then have "too many" neighbours to make
sense. If the coordinates of the observations can be projected to the
plane, a graph-based neighbour scheme can be used, which represents the
spatial process as contagious in contiguity (neighbouring observations are
neighbours irrespective of distance).

So the first step is to think through how "neighbouring" observations can
influence each other in terms appropriate to the subject domain.

Roger