[R-sig-Geo] RE : Wheight matrices

Julien Beguin julien.beguin.1 at ulaval.ca
Thu Apr 29 17:25:39 CEST 2010

Hi Francisco,

In complement to the previous answer, the following code (with "spdep" package) might give you what you are looking for (1st order neighborhood):

   require(spdep)
   shape <- readShapePoly("path_to_my_shapefile", IDvar="Id_of_your_polygons")
   shape_nb<-poly2nb(shape)

   data<-list(
   N = length(shape_nb),
   num=sapply(shape_nb, length),
   adj=unlist(shape_nb),
   lst = attr(shape_nb, "region.id"),
   adj2 = lst[unlist(shape_nb)],
   sumNumNeigh=length(unlist(shape_nb)
                  )

If you want to vary the order of neighborhood: see ?nblag

The lines 3 to 6 make the format of the adjacency matrix compatible for Winbugs but you can play around that to get any desirable format, depending on which software or R-model you use.

Hope it helps,

Julien Beguin