[R-sig-Geo] automap model defaults

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Thu Apr 15 15:54:23 CEST 2010

Edzer Pebesma wrote:
> Mark, please note that the linear model (with nugget), having only two
> parameters where most models have three (nugget, range, sill) or four (+
> smoothness) arises as a special case of e.g. the spherical or
> exponential model when the range becomes infinite, or at least very
> large compared to the spatial extent. I'm not sure if automap allows
> fitting of very large range values.

See the following example:

data(meuse)
coordinates(meuse) = ~x+y
vgm1 <- variogram(log(zinc)~1, meuse)
vgm1$gamma = 1:15 + 0.00001*runif(15)
v1 = fit.variogram(vgm1, vgm(15,"Sph",1000,1))
v2 = fit.variogram(vgm1, vgm(15,"Lin",1000,1))
plot(vgm1, v1) #Sph
plot(vgm1, v2) #Lin

Probably the difference in the estimated covariance matrix is quite
small between the linear and the spherical variogram. In this example
the range is quite a bit larger than the spatial extent, so I think
automap can handle this.

cheers,
Paul
> --
> Edzer
>
> Mark Connolly wrote:

>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> These models are the models that are most often used, so it seemed
>>> logical to use these ones. But why do you want to include the linear
>>> model specifically?
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Only because it sometimes results in a lower SSError.  I guess that is
>> my real question: why wouldn't I want to try the linear model in the
>> set?  The field I am looking at is a layered ag field in a coastal
>> plain, and the five depth layers (which extend to less than a meter from
>> the surface) I am looking at are often fairly homogeneous for specific
>> properties.  Some of property values I am fitting produce a linear model
>> as the best fit in a specific layer.  (Although sometimes when this is
>> the case, the linear model is just barely better and than the next-best
>> non-linear model.)
>>
>> I assume the selection of the default models is not arbitrary, but I
>> lack the experience to include/exclude linear models in the best fit
>> search.  Best to stick with the default?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography