[R-sig-Geo] Shape to DB, DB to SpatialPolygon

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Apr 12 19:14:45 CEST 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Germán Sánchez Hernández wrote:

> Hi Carson (and list!),
>
> I have corretly installed rgdal package in R (with some initial problems
> but finally working).
>
> If I run ogrDrivers() no driver for PostgreSQL is listed (remember that
> the postgresql database is correctly running with the PostGIS extension,
> and I can connect through RODBC package):

The OGR driver will only be present if you have built OGR with PostGIS
enabled. If you use the CRAN Windows 32-bit binary, or the CRAN extras OSX
32-bit or Windows 64-bit binaries, the driver is not included. To use
PostGIS with OGR, install GDAL with PostGIS enabled, and check with:

$ ogrinfo --formats

Until you see PostGIS/PostgreSQL there, you will not see it inside R
either, having installed rgdal from source. Using PostGIS effectively
presupposes that you have some experience in installing software from
source, and that your platform has the necessary build trains; these kinds
of things rarely work "out of the box". The rgdal package as a binary has
most commonly used drivers, and more will not be added, because they
depend on libraries/DLLs external to GDAL/OGR.

Roger