[R-sig-Geo] class for georeferenced time series

Wouter Buytaert wouter at paramo.be
Sat Apr 3 16:51:47 CEST 2010

Hi all,

this question is mainly aimed at the developers of sp, but any feedback is
welcome.

We are designing some classes for hydrological modelling in R (the r-hydro
package on R-Forge) and facing the decision of how to design a class for
georeferenced time series (e.g., a precipitation or river flow series,
the first referring to a point and the second to an area).

We're considering an xts time series with an sp object as attribute, but
there may be other options (xts as data slot in an sp object for instance)
that may be preferrable for reasons beyond my knowledge. Also, there may
be similar efforts underway of which we have no knowledge.

cheers
wouter