[R-sig-Geo] First thoughts on spatio-temporal classes...

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Sat Sep 19 23:25:15 CEST 2009

Michael Sumner wrote:
> Hi, I just want to let you know that I'm hoping to update the trip
> (and tripEstimation) packages over the next few months so I'm very
> open to suggestions if you are interested.
>
> The main thing I want to do is to ensure that the capacity in sp for
> use of 3 or more coordinates (X, Y, Z, T,...) is well supported, and
> then simplify the implementation of trip on top of
> SpatialPointsDataFrame. It would be nice to make it less of a special
> case, and perhaps it would be best to apply it as a multipoint type
> (as presented in the ASDAR book). That might be a good way to handle
> collections (such as sets of individual trips).

Mike, I'm not sure if this would fit your needs. In the multipoint type,
I believe a collection of points corresponds to a single feature,
meaning that the set corresponds to a single record in the attribute
table. This means that if your sensor in addition to x,y,t records e.g.
temperature and pressure, there's no place for that.

Best wishes,
--
Edzer

> Regards, Mike
>

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 8:15 AM, VIRGILIO GOMEZ RUBIO
> <Virgilio.Gomez at uclm.es> wrote:
>
>> Hi Blair,
>>
>> I am visiting SAMSI this fall and I would like to get involved in this. Is
>> there any working group discussing this? If not, perhaps we could have a
>> chat with all the people interested in the area (samsi, duke, unc, ncsu,...)
>> and talk about this.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Virgilio
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 18/09/2009, at 12:25, "Blair Christian" <blair.christian at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This is in response to an earlier post of mine inquiring about options for
>>> spatio-temporal classes in R.
>>>
>>> Thank you to all who replied for your interest in spatio-temporal data
>>> classes and methods.  There were many excellent comments in your emails.
>>> have been attending the SAMSI conference on space-time
>>> analysis<http://www.samsi.info/programs/2009spatialprogram.shtml>this
>>> week and have put together a summary (a working draft) of some
>>>
>>> thoughts<http://www.isds.duke.edu/%7Ejbc30/SpatioTemporal/workGroupComp.pdf>I
>>> have about classes.
>>>
>>> I also started a bare bones webpage:
>>> http://www.isds.duke.edu/~jbc30/SpatioTemporal/
>>>
>>> A also put up the latex source code and bib file I used if you are
>>> interested in making additions, corrections, or other.  Please email me
>>> any
>>> changes, and I'll maintain an RCS version of it.
>>>
>>> I'll put some plots up there when I have time to give you all an idea of
>>> what my context is.  Ironically, I can't ssh to the webserver from work
>>> (at
>>> the US EPA), so I can only update it from home.
>>>

>>> Here are some questions to you all:
>>>
>>> - What data do you have interest in analyzing?
>>>
>>> - What type of code do you have to contribute?
>>>
>>> - Are you interested in writing classes/methods?  If so, what is your
>>> background?  (I can provide several tutorials on S4 classes on the web
>>> that
>>> I found useful).
>>>
>>> I will pass along these related packages as being related to
>>> spatio-temporal
>>> data:
>>> trip (trip class extends SpatialPointsDataFrame), pastecs, tripEstimation,
>>> hydrosalinity(?), PBSmapping(?), RadioSonde, STARIMA(?), Bayesian Vector