[R-sig-Geo] R packages to performs geospatial analisys.

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Sep 18 12:04:24 CEST 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Edzer J. Pebesma wrote:

> Massimo, I would at least include those on the Spatial task view, at
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html and merge the full list
> there with your list.
>
> In your list, for instance, geoR and geoRglm are missing.

Yes, the task view is more up to date than the book for obvious reasons -
the book reflects a subset of the packages available in early 2008, and
more have come in since. Existing packages like spatstat have make big
advances, for example regarding class coercion, that are not in the book,
and other packages now have (more) vignettes.

Please do, however, subset out the recommended packages, for instance by:

installed.packages(priority="high")[,"Package"]

from your list, as they should be installed with R-base.

Watch out for possible problems caused by the binary installer for the
GRASS GDAL plugin in installing Qgis - there have been reports of version
clashes.

Good luck in Sydney!

Roger

PS. FOSS4G 2010 will be in Barcelona in September.