[R-sig-Geo] R-Trees

Jason Bryer jason at bryer.org
Fri Sep 18 00:51:45 CEST 2009

I'm looking to do some spatial searching and joining of data but
without an spatial index it seems to take a considerable amount of
time. For example, I have user data with locations and would like to
determine what zip code code they are in thereby requiring a lot of
point-in-polygon calls. Is there either a better way to do this or an
r-tree implementation somewhere (searching revealed no)? I'm beginning
to implement an r-tree index but before I invest too much time want to
ensure I'm not duplicating someone else's work.

Thanks,
Jason