[R-sig-Geo] Intersection of two coordinates (triangulation)

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 11:02:11 CEST 2009

Il giorno mer, 09/09/2009 alle 20.07 +0200, Breitbach, Nils ha scritto:
> Hi Community,
>
> I am new to this forum and I am starting to analyse my telemetry data trying to be independent from commercial software. So far all I wanted to do was possible with R. Now I am looking for a function that is able to do triangulation. The structure of my data is as follows:
>
> - two consecutive rows with coordinates (lat and long in separate columns; at the moment in WGS1984 and decimal degrees) and in a further column a corresponding direction in degrees from 0 to 359
> - each of the two consecutive rows has an identifier (T1 and T2)
>
> I now want to calculate the intersection point of these two consecutive rows (T1 and T2) getting one coordinate in long and lat of the intersection point in WGS1984 and decimal degrees.
>
> Do you know of any function/package that is able to perform such a triangulation or at least one that does a similar operation?

Hello Nils,

a triangulation function has been recently ported to R and is available
on SVN:

svn co svn://home.prea.net/svn/triang/trunk

triang.R is the script containing the algorithm, do.triang.R is a test
based on data in fix.dbf. The code is in a very alpha state, further
testing and hopefully development is welcome :)
For animal movement software in general, keep an eye also on Animove
list (in copy).

Hope this helps,
Anne Ghisla