[R-sig-Geo] John Snow's cholera data/map: a more sp-ish way?

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Fri Oct 30 14:59:59 CET 2009

Hi

In a new package, HistData, on R-Forge, I have a collection of
historical data sets, some map-related,
including the map and data related to John Snow's famous map of the 1854
cholera outbreak in London.
https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/histdata/

I have two examples in example(Snow) that re-create the map of deaths,
one showing Theissen polygon
boundaries around the water pumps, the other showing  bivariate density
contours, but they are entirely
done using base graphics and ordinary data frames.  I'm wondering if
anyone is willing to help me show
a more sp-ish way to organize the data and map info and make these and
other plots.
More generally, I would welcome any other contributions to this project.

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.