[R-sig-Geo] Multiple polygons

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Oct 14 21:26:20 CEST 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Rui Catarino wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Thank you for such a quick reply.
>
> You were right, it seems a bit obscure so following your suggestion I
> attach a small example of what looks like my table. The list is in excel
> format and I usually use the package xlsReadWrite to read the excel
> files.

After converting to CSV (no Excel here):

Example.df <- read.csv("Example.csv")
ldf <- split(Example.df, Example.df$Polygon_n)
# split into list on polygon ID
lpls <- lapply(ldf, function(x) {
   crds <- cbind(x$Long, x$Lat)
   crds <- crds[x$order,]
   crds <- rbind(crds, crds[1,])
   ID <- as.character(unique(x$Polygon_n))
   Polygons(list(Polygon(crds)), ID=ID)
})
# lapply to make a list of Polygons objects
lvdf <- lapply(ldf, function(x) {
   rn <- as.character(unique(x$Polygon_n))
   StartDate <- strptime(unique(as.character(x$StartDate)), format="%m/%d/%Y")
   CloseDate <- strptime(unique(as.character(x$CloseDate)), format="%m/%d/%Y")
   AnalysisDate <- strptime(unique(as.character(x$AnalysisDate)),
     format="%m/%d/%Y")
   data.frame(StartDate=StartDate, CloseDate=CloseDate,
     AnalysisDate=AnalysisDate, row.names=rn)
})
vdf <- do.call("rbind", lvdf)
# lapply to extract the unique values and make them into POSIXlt objects
# as they are dates, then do.call("rbind", ...) to stick the n single
# line data.frames together
spdf <- SpatialPolygonsDataFrame(SpatialPolygons(lpls,
   proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84")), data=vdf)
# assemble the list of Polygons objects and matching data.frame
# as a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame

All the *apply() functions are really user friendly and save very much
more time than that needed to learn them. Think of lapply() and sapply()
like a for loop along a vector, usually along a list, doing something to
each component - here custom functions. Starting on a small,
representative example usually helps to get the incantation right.

Note that the orders were all redundant here, so adjustment may be needed
there.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no