[R-sig-Geo] Multiple polygons

Rui Catarino R.Catarino at MARLAB.AC.UK
Wed Oct 14 16:54:56 CEST 2009

Hello again,

Thank you for such a quick reply.

You were right, it seems a bit obscure so following your suggestion I
attach a small example of what looks like my table. The list is in excel
format and I usually use the package xlsReadWrite to read the excel
files.

Once again thank you for your trouble
Rui

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Bivand [mailto:Roger.Bivand at nhh.no]
Sent: 14 October 2009 14:30
To: Rui Catarino
Cc: r-sig-geo at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [R-sig-Geo] Multiple polygons

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Rui Catarino wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> This is my first attempt to use GIS tools in R so I'm sorry if my
> question is to na?ve, but the truth is that I've spent several hours
> looking in forum's and packages for a solution with no joy.
>
> What I'm trying to achieve is to create multiple polygons (around 150)

> based in a table with (x,y) coordinates. This table also as two extra
> fields one which will be the code (numeric value) for each polygon.
The
> second field is the numeric order in which the points in each polygon
> should be joined.

What do the input data look like? Is there a list of +/-150 data.frame
objects, or a single data.frame object (read with read.table()). If the
latter, use split() first to make a list of data.frames, where the list
components will take the name of the ID column values (assumed all
identical for coordinates belonging to the same polygon).

Once you've got the list, say lst, you'll use lapply() to build a list
of
Polygons objects, each built of a list with a single Polygon object.
This
needs the coordinates in the right order and closed, so something like:

crds <- cbind(obj$x, obj$y)
crds <- crds[obj$order,]
crds <- rbind(crds, crds[1,])

should get them re-ordered, and then ring-closed. Insert the names as ID

as appropriate. If this seems obscure, provide a very simple example
data
set on a website - it is actually quite straightforward if the data are
cleanly organised.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no