[R-sig-Geo] newbie questions

Julian Burgos julian at hafro.is
Mon Nov 16 13:38:35 CET 2009

Hello all,
An alternative to create (possibly simple) shapefiles is the
"shapefiles" package.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/shapefiles/index.html.

Also the "PBSmapping" package is a very good alternative to make maps
within R, and to perform basic GIS operations (i.e. overlap of polygons,
identification of locations within polygons, etc.).

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/PBSmapping/index.html

Nevertheless, I do think that is worth while to take a bit of time and
learn to use the classes and methods for spatial data in the "sp"
package.  The Bivand et al. book (Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R)
is a great place to start.
All the best,

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute
Netfang/Email: julian at hafro.is, jmburgos at u.washington.edu