[R-sig-Geo] newbie questions

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon Nov 16 11:41:58 CET 2009

Raphael Saldanha wrote:
> Hi Tom!
>
> I'm a geographer and R enthusiast too, but what I can say is: R is a great
> software to statistics. The final production of maps, although it's
> possible, it's simple and faster made with GIS softwares, like GRASS,
> Quantum GIS or ArcGIS.

Hi,

As you already stated, making the maps in R is quite possible. I make
all my geographic illustrations for my publications in R. The advantage
that I don't have do something first in Excel or ArcGIS and then
something in R and ending in yet another tool. I like the fact that my
whole workflow is in one versatile tool, R. So for me learning to make
maps in R payed off. In addition, you can make awesome maps, especially
of mulitvariate spatial data, in R. In addition, I use linux (Debian)
and the desktop GIS tools that I tried (svSig, Qgis, and some more) did
not provide publication quality maps. ArcMap does, but this is not
available under Linux. If you use Windows this is not a problem
ofcourse. See the link below for an animation I made using R (and some
other linux tools):

http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul/Images/animation_25fps.mpg

All of the above is purely my opinion :).

cheers and good luck,
Paul
> My tip is: organize data with spreadsheet and GIS softwares, import (as
> shapefile, if possible) in R and make your statistical analysis and
> statistical columns of data, export to another shapefile and manipulate the
> final map in GIS softwares.
>
> I repeat, it's possible make all these steps in R, and generate great maps,
> but the most simple way is above. Personally, I use R to make the final maps
> only when I have to produce a long series of simple maps.
>
> I think the best way is the integration of GIS software with R, each one
> with his specialty.
>

> King regards,
>
> Raphael Saldanha
> BRAZIL