[R-sig-Geo] readRAST6: too many open files

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue May 5 19:13:52 CEST 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Agustin Lobo wrote:

> Roger,
>
> After upgrading, the test works with plugin=F,
> while plugin=T produces the same result.

I find this too on Fedora 10, plugin=TRUE fails after a hundred or so
calls, and then crashes R on a further command. With plugin=FALSE, there
is no problem at all. The problem then lies in the plugin driver, which
isn't anything that spgrass6 can do anything about. It looks as though the
plugin is opening file handles to GRASS files but not closing them. I'll
try to ask on the GDAL and grass-dev lists. For the time being, it seems
best to use plugin=FALSE in readRAST6().

> Also, ignore.stderr=T yields:
>
> ERROR 6: SetColorTable() only supported for Byte or UInt16 bands in TIFF
> format.

This is a GRASS version issue, more recent GRASS support a flag to avoid
r.out.gdal trying to write non-existent colour tables. Could you repeat
your GRASS version:

execGRASS("g.version")

should do it.

> WARNING: Input raster map constains cells with NULL-value (no-data). The
>         value 999 was used to represent no-data values in the input
>         map.You can specify nodata value by nodata parameter.

Maybe set a NODATA= value in the readRAST6() call to avoid heuristics
trying to find a possible value?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no