[R-sig-Geo] Problem with overlay(x="SpatialGridDataFrame", y="SpatialPoints")

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Mar 31 15:54:29 CEST 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>
>>  Hi
>>>
>>> I want to get the data from a grid at locations based in a point vector
>>> file. I am using the following code, and I get the error below.
>>>

>> Rainer:
>>
>> The quick workaround is to read the shapefile with readOGR(), which does
>> not give the coordinates matrix row names, so the failing test for matching
>> with
>

> Yes - it works with readOGR, which I like. But the problem is, that most
> attendants of the course use Windows (unfortunately), and as faer as I know
> is rgdal on windows tricky.

For what definition of tricky? The CRAN Windows binary ships with its own
GDAL binaries and support files (thanks to Uwe Ligges), so I don't think
it is harder to install than maptools (but is a much larger download for
obvious reasons - it includes quite a lot of raster and vector drivers,
and the GDAL and PROJ.4 support metadata files).

>> data frame row names is skipped. I have fixed overlay() to suit in sp's CVS
>> on R-spatial on sourceforge - could you try it, please? The following will
>> show if it
>

> OK - it's working now. ANy idea when this will be available on CRAN?

sp_0.9-34.tar.gz submitted to CRAN, so probably tomorrow for the Windows
build if it passes checks.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no