[R-sig-Geo] convert point and map coordinates UTM to WSG

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon Mar 23 10:23:46 CET 2009

Hi,

To transform coordinates you can use the spTransform function from the
rgdal pacakge. It uses proj4 to do the transformations. Proj uses a
string to describe a certain projection, the so called proj4string. If
you can determine the proj4string for both your projections you can
transform between them. The first string (WGS84) looks like this:

"+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84"

The second (UTM) something like:

"+proj=utm +zone=yourzone +datum=yourdatum"

See the documentation of spTransform for more information on how to use
the function.

cheers and hth,
Paul

Marc Marí Dell'Olmo wrote:
> Dear R-users,
>
> Can anyone tell me how to convert point coordinates from WSG84 (google
> maps coordinates) format to UTM HUSO-31 ED-50. And if I have a map
> (shp format) with UTM HUSO-31 ED-50 coordinates, how can I convert to
> WSG84 (google maps coordinates) coordinates. Should I install some
> external software?
>
> Can anyone tell me the instructions?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Marc