[R-sig-Geo] comparing confusion matrices

Andrew Niccolai andrew.niccolai at yale.edu
Mon Mar 9 12:55:59 CET 2009

Koen,

Congalton and Green 1999 ("Assessing the Accuracy of Remotely Sensed Data:
Principles and Practices") describes such a method which they term Margfit.
This method "can be applied to “normalize” or standardize the error matrices
for comparison purposes.
Margfit uses an iterative proportional fitting procedure which forces each
row and column (i.e., marginal) in the matrix to sum to a predetermined
value; hence the name Margfit. If the predetermined value is one, then each
cell value is a proportion
of one and can easily be multiplied by 100 to represent percentages. The
predetermined value could also be set to 100 to obtain percentages directly
or to any other value the analyst chooses.  In this normalization process,
differences in sample sizes used to generate the matrices are eliminated and
therefore, individual cell values within the matrix are directly
comparable." (Chapter 5).

Dr. Congalton has sent me his Margfit application (I think it is written in
C++ but can't be sure) and I'm sure would do the same for anyone else
interested.  He can be reached at russ.congalton at unh.edu

AS for R, I bet it would be relatively straightforward to code a version of
Margefit into R.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

Andrew Niccolai