[R-sig-Geo] GEOSTAT 2009 Summer School, 3-10 May 2009 MEDILS, Split, Croatia 2nd call

Tomislav Hengl T.Hengl at uva.nl
Fri Mar 6 10:04:38 CET 2009

Dear R-sig-geo,

There are still some open places for our GEOSTAT 2009 summer school (the registration closes on 15h
of March). We will finally be three lecturers: (1) Roger Bivand; (2) Olaf Conrad (the main creator
of SAGA) and (3) Tomislav Hengl. The fifth day of the summer school, we will run a R-sig-geo LIVE
discussion - via a live broadcast (under preparation).

Current registrations: uni-bonn.de; zg.htnet.hr; gmx.de; izor.hr; agr.hr; ugent.be; geo.uzh.ch;
geodata.hr; uclouvain.be; iastate.edu; ceh.ac.uk;

F.A.Q.

1. Where can I find more info about the course programme?
- The programme of the school will be published after we collect the registrations. We keep some
flexibility considering the programme because we try to adjust to the topics that applicants select
as much as possible.

2. Is there a possibility to get a discount or funding from the hosting institute?
- In principle no. We have tried our best to reduce the price as much as possible (all the lecturers
are volunteers), while still being able to use excellent facilities (not to mention that MEDILS has
its private beach). Possibly the only way to save some money is to try to organize the accommodation
yourself. The registration costs for external accommodation will be 300-350 € (but you would soon
find out that accommodation in Split is as expensive as on the institute).

3. Can two or more people from the same institute apply?
- Of course! The selection criteria are only: (1) scientific excellence, (2) relevance, (3) distance
from the course (more distant applications have advantage), (4) time of application.

my apologies for cross posting!

2nd call: GEOSTAT 2009 Summer School
"Spatio-temporal data analysis with R + SAGA + Google Earth"

Period: 3 – 10 May 2009
Location: Mediterranean Institute For Life Sciences (MEDILS), Split, Croatia

The objective of the GEOSTAT Summer School is to promote use of open source tools for the analysis
of spatio-temporal data. The course aims at providing a balanced combination of theoretical and
hands-on-software (R + open source GIS) training, and includes a one-day workshop where each
participant can present his/her case study and receive feedback.

Course moderators:
* Roger S. Bivand (Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration)
* Tomislav Hengl (University of Amsterdam)
* Olaf Conrad (University of Hamburg)

The MEDILS institute features fully equipped lecture and seminar rooms. Accommodation is available
in-house (hotel complex on the upper floors) - comfortable two-bed rooms with private bathrooms. All
rooms are fully air-conditioned and provide telephone and high-speed Internet access. Three meals
per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and intermediate coffee/snacks are provided at the Institute. The
institute also features sport facilities, and access to sea (beach).

Registration fees:
Single rooms*: 840 €
Shared rooms (2 beds): 680 €
*A limited number of single rooms is available. In the case of high interest for single rooms, the
organizers will try to arrange an equivalent accommodation in the neighboring hotel.

The registration fees are ALL INCLUSIVE: they include workshop fees, accommodation at the institute
(six nights), meals during the whole duration of the summer school (excluding Friday 8.05 dinner and
Sunday 10.05 lunch), and costs of the Saturday 9.05 excursion to island Brac (Pustinja Blaca - old
Monastery).

Registration dead-line: 15 March 2009

The course is limited to 25 participants. The candidates will be selected based on: (a) academic
excellent; (b) thematic relevance to the topic of the course; (c) geographic location (more distant
applications have advantage) and (d) time of application.
To register for this summer school, please fill out and forward the registration form available at:

http://www.medils.org/index.php/archives/category/events/schools-workshops/

For all other information:
Tomislav Hengl, course coordinator
E-mail: T.Hengl at uva.nl