[R-sig-Geo] RPyGeo: merge geoprocessing problems with "field_mappings" option

Alexander Brenning brenning at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 4 03:10:22 CET 2009

Dear Gianni,

I haven't used the Merge_management tool in ArcGIS, but after having a
look at ESRI's documentation...

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Merge_(Data_Management)

...it seems to me that field_mappings is not just a character string but
an object of the class "FieldMappings":

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?id=812&pid=785&topicname=FieldMappings_properties

This is not something that would be easily addressed from within R,
you'd better just use Python directly if you want to automate this with
ArcGIS Geoprocessing tools.

Cheers
  Alex