[R-sig-Geo] mapping by zip codes

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue Mar 3 21:40:57 CET 2009

Hi,

You have to provide some more info in order for us to answer you
question. How does 'your data' look like? A data.frame with x and y
coordinates and more info? If this is correct, you need to convert the
xy data.frame to a spatial object:

library(sp)
data(meuse) # data.frame
# The columns with the x and y coordinates are called "x" and "y"
coordinates(meuse) = ~x+y # SpatialPointsDataFrame

Then you can use overlay() to find out in which customer is in which
polygon. Then you can count the number of customers per zip code.

cheers,
Paul

Alina Sheyman schreef:
> I'm very new to creating maps using shapefiles, so this question might be
> pretty basic.
>
> I'm trying to create a map of the US, divided up by zip codes, where i then
> map number of customers by zip code.
> I located shapefiles for US with zip codes (although at this point only for
> individual states, and not the entire country) and read it into R using
> maptools,
> but now I need to apply my data (which I read into R as a separate data
> frame and not a shapefile) to that map. Which is the part where I get
> completely lost and not sure how to proceed. If anyone could give me any
> pointers I'd really appreciate it.
>
> thank you
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Drs. Paul Hiemstra