[R-sig-Geo] Spatial Regression

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jun 23 22:53:48 CEST 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Adrian Toti wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> You wrote: "If both spatial coefficients are significant in a general model,
> you know with little chance of mistake that your model is badly
> misspecified".
> I am assuming that you mean the Rho coefficient (lagged dependent) and the
> lagged coefficients (for the independent variables) in the spatial Durbin
> model.

No, the original questioner was thinking of a model like:

y = \rho W y + X \beta + u

u = \lambda W u + e

with both a lag coefficient \rho and an error coefficient \lambda. You end
up with a messy interaction between the \rho and \lambda terms, something
like:

(I - \rho W) (I - \lambda W) y = (I - \lambda W) X \beta + e

or

y = (I - \rho W)^{-1} X \beta + (I - \rho W)^{-1} (I - \lambda W)^{-1} e

> What about a situation where using lm.LMtests function one can make a
> decision for a lag or error model but using spatial Durbin model in any
> situation (meaning when error or lag is a better fit) the lagged dependent
> and some of the lagged independent are significant?  So does that still mean
> that the model is misspecified?
>
> Another information if it can be helpful: when I compare the spatial Durbin
> fit with with the error or lag and use LR.sarlm to compare the
> models, Durbin model shows always a better fit.

Yes, they often do, but comparing the AIC values may prefer the lag or
error models because adding extra variables is penalised.

Roger