[R-sig-Geo] matching points to a raster

Kamran Safi ksafi at orn.mpg.de
Fri Jun 5 20:49:55 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am not sure this is trivial. I think the simplest solution would be to
find the closest grid cell centre (maybe using spDistN1 or simple vector
length) and get the closest grid cell with environmental data and assign
it to your animals' position. You can further complicate things by not
taking simply the next closest point, but calculate the weighted mean
(using the inverse of distance of the cell centres to the animals'
location as weighing variable) or maybe most elegantly use kriging (or
linear models), and extrapolate the value for the location. This is a
classical geographers' problem of interpolation and not simply done by
overlay(), which probably mimics the first solution of getting the next
best grid cell (I am also not entirely sure whether overlay works with
spatialPoints and spatialPixels).
Weighted mean maybe a straightforward solution.

Hope this helps,

Kami