[R-sig-Geo] memory issue on R with Linux 64

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Jan 29 08:00:43 CET 2009

Well, this doesn't come as a surprise; if it did for you then you didn't
read the list archives well.

R has been designed for analysing statistical data, which usually
doesn't outnumber billions of observations, and not for
analysis/processing of large grids/imagery.

rgdal has infrastructure to let you go through huge grids by reading and
writing only parts at a time; you can find pointers to this in the rgdal
documentation, examples on the list. I don't know of functions that do
this automatically for you; maybe the raster package on r-forge?

Another option is to buy more ram. I am using debian on a 32 Gb ram
workstation; I was surprised (really) how little it costed. It saves me
time.
--
Edzer