[R-sig-Geo] reading *.grd files - revisited

Monica Pisica pisicandru at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 27 17:21:46 CET 2009

Hi,

I've read already the thread about how to read *.grd files in R. What i want to do is to re-save the file in a geotiff format so i can load it in ArcGIS. I tried readRGDAL and i got the following error:

x <- readRGDAL("test_grid.grd")
Error in .local(.Object, ....):
GDAL Error 4: "test_grid.grd' not recognized as a suported file format.

Next step was to do what Alexander Brenning suggested using RSAGA but after installing the library and trying the following command i got this error:

rsaga.get.usage("io_grid",3)

Error in setwd (env$workspace) : character argument expected
In addition: warning message:
In rsaga.env()
SAGA command line program 'saga.cmd.exe' not found in any of the paths
c:/PROGRA~2/R/R~28~1.1PA/library/RSAGA/saga_vc

Following afterwards a list of directories in my computer. Do i need to install any other additional package and load it in order to use RSAGA???

I receive almost same error for the command
rsaga.geoprocessor("io_grid",3, param = list(GRID = "temp.sgrd", FILE = "test_grid.grd"))

I have installed R 2.8.1 patched and all packages are updated, on a Windows XP professional x64 machine 64 bit.

If anybody wants to give it a try you will find the file (probably around noon - it takes about 15 - 30 min to upload on the site) at ftp://stpfiles.er.usgs.gov/Monica/GRID/test_grid.grd

Thanks for all the help,

Monica