[R-sig-Geo] strange performances of R graphic window under Linux and MS WIndows

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jan 22 16:35:54 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Enrico Guastaldi wrote:

> Dear list members,
> I'm Kubuntu 8.10 + KDE4.1 user, but in other "older" kubuntu (8.04 + KDE3.5)
> machine it happens the same strange think.
> The performance of R graphic window under Linux are very poor compared with
> MS WIndows, even if MS Windows is working under a Virtual machine: R under
> Linux is more time consuming in performing a graphic plot.
> In terms of time, R under Linux needs almost 10 seconds in order to
> construct the attached graph, the result of this code:
>
> pairs(USJudgeRatings)
>
> while R under MS Windows requires less than 1 second!
>
> Moreover, the graphic result is very poor, if I compare the resolution of
> two graphic windows (see attached file, Linux ont he left, and Windows on
> the right: the latter is really much better!!!)
>
> What I'm doing wrong? Or, what is wrong in X configuration of our Linux
> computers?

Probably wrongly configured. Note that the timing for x11(type="Xlib") is
comparable with Windows, see capabilities() to see if you have "cairo"
built. If it is built, it will be used, because it gives graphics output
what is (more) device independent (looks the same on different devices),
but may take longer. If I remember correctly, it also needs some pango
packages, and things like font placings may depend on that.

This question is more appropriate for R-help.

Roger

PS. your attached figures did not get through - R mailing list sites have
an explicit policy on attachments, set out in the posting guide at:

http://www.r-project.org/mail.html#instructions

http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html

Your HTML-formatted version was discarded - see the instructions to see
how to make your mail client only send plain text. If you had attached a
PNG graphics file, it would (probably) have got through.

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no