[R-sig-Geo] Spatial data analysis in MATLAB / Comparison of MATLAB vs R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 20 20:11:02 CET 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Tomislav Hengl wrote:

> Dear Barry,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Funnily enough, I got the same reply from the module coordinator - "you
> will enjoy learning MATLAB".
>

> I have accepted to do everything in MATLAB (I do not have much choice
> really). Then, I might also try Scilab afterwards and controlling Scilab
> from R. I will keep you informed about what I discovered about MATLAB
> (at least considering the spatial analysis capabilities).

Tom,

Can you try going in through the back door using R as a compute server
from Matlab (or Arc?)? I assume that you are obliged to use Windows, but
that does get you the R(D)COM opportunity:

http://learnserver.csd.univie.ac.at/rcomwiki/doku.php?id=r_d_com_rcom_and_and_other_software_systems

If Matlab is willing to be a client, then you can hand over some things to
R from there. Maybe the R.matlab package can also be used with socket
connections instead of DCOM. In fact, the more able students might find
Python programming liberating, as I guess you can drive both Matlab and R
as servers from a Python client - and Python is the currently prefered
scripting language for ESRI, I believe. The key problem is representing
objects defined in one language in others, so here points and rasters are
OK, but lines and polygons are hard.

Note that OSGeo does Python pretty well now too - in terms of how much
development you'll have to do to prepare the course, you may find that
there are more packages ready for sticking together with a little language
than in Matlab itself, and which provide a higher level of abstraction
(richer objects) than Matlab offers. Matlab is very powerful if objects
can be readily coerced to matrices, for example in modelling (not fitting
models but building and calibrating systems models) - there is a different
view of the world between S/R and Matlab, in GIScience terms a different
ontology. The priors (model knowledge) probably have more weight among
Matlab users, the observed data among S/R users (as a rough guess).
Neither are as good at designing objects or programming - ideally, all
three would suit your students.

Roger