[R-sig-Geo] matching points by their coordinates

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 20 08:49:53 CET 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Struve, Juliane wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I would like to look for attributes (e.g. distance from the shore) of
> spatial points in other data sets (e.g. dist_shoreDF)  after matching
> the points in fishlocationDF and dist_shoreDF by their coordinates.

The most direct way for planar coordinates is to use functions in the
spatstat package, to give the distance between a point and a line. You'll
need to ceorce from sp objects to spatstat objects using methods in the
maptools package, something like:

library(maptools)
library(spatstat)
fish_ppp <- as(as(fishlocationDF, "SpatialPoints"), "ppp")
shore_psp <- as(as(shoreDF, "SpatialLines"), "psp")

As far as I can see, the pairdist method exists for either ppp or psp
objects, but not for a combination, but I may be wrong. There is an
internal function called distppll() which takes a matrix of points and a
single line segment as a matrix, which can be used, but which involves
some coding to extract the matrices from the input objects.

http://www.csiro.au/resources/Spatial-Point-Patterns-in-R.html

is a very useful resource, but there isn't too much on line segements yet.

Hope this helps,

Roger

PS. Is there a function in PBSmapping to do this, perhaps handling
geographical coordinates?