[R-sig-Geo] Spatial Lags Excluding Neighbors' Missing Attribute Values

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 5 21:41:45 CET 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Christopher Moore wrote:

> Dear Roger,
>
> I am glad to hear that the NAOK argument will be implemented in the next
> release. Will it be implemented in functions besides lag.listw, such as
> moran.plot?

The draft release 0.4-32 is on R-Forge, you can try it by:

install.packages("spdep",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

with the usual precautions. I ought to revisit several functions - some
take an NAOK or similar argument, others do not. In fact, for analysis
they should do something more like what moran.test() does, using
na.action= as an argument, but usage isn't consistent. Probably this needs
to be factored out as a helper function that can be plugged into the test
and model functions. I'd be interested in some (off-list) indications of
whether NA handling matters and why, with some example data sets to add to
spdep if possible.

For na.omit, moran.test() subsets the variable and the weights object
internally to remove NA observations.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no