[R-sig-Geo] shortest realistic distance for fish travel

Michael Sumner mdsumner at utas.edu.au
Sun Jan 4 07:33:05 CET 2009

A vaguely similar approach is provided by the (hard to use) code in the
tripEstimation package.

This package is primarily for determining realistic track locations from
raw archival light data or satellite locations with estimates included for
the "intermediate path" between data collection times, but the methods used
to apply auxiliary data such as SST or bathymetry, and simple speed models
could be applied to your case.

I'd be happy to try an example to see if the existing code can be applied,
although it might be a bit heavy handed.

Is there a freely available coastline data set that you would be confident
using in your case? Is the GSHHS sufficient? Do you have other data that
can be used to limit the likely/possible path?

Some more context for the package via an (out of date) light example can be
found here:
http://staff.acecrc.org.au/~mdsumner/Rutas/tripEstimation-demo.pdf

Cheers, Mike.

--On Thursday, 18 December 2008 2:38 PM -0500 Jon Loehrke