[R-sig-Geo] Material for asdar book

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jan 2 20:05:37 CET 2009

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Agustin Lobo wrote:

> Hi!

> It would be helpful if the material (source, datasets...) of the asdar
> book could be made available in few tar files (i.e., one for the
> datasets, another for the source code...). I've tried with downThemAll
> but get inconvenient names for the files.

Our test framework (run nightly on current R and packages) uses a script
including the following:

$ more run_tests.sh
#! /bin/bash
export ASDAR="http://www.asdar-book.org/"
export ASDAR_BUNDLES="${ASDAR}bundles"

CHAPTERS="hello cm vis die cm2 csdacm sppa geos lat1 lat2 dismap"

for ch in $CHAPTERS; do
   if test -d ${ch}
     then cd ${ch}
   else
     mkdir ${ch}
     cd ${ch}
   fi
   wget -N "${ASDAR_BUNDLES}/${ch}_bundle.zip"
   unzip -o "${ch}_bundle.zip"
   cd ..
done

This generates a directory for each chapter, but you could do it otherwise
if you prefer. As you will have seen, the R scripts in each chapter
unpack the data set zip archives. We can look at trying to get PHP to do
this dynamically, but I guess a scripting solution is good enough? I
apologise for replying to the list, but since the question was asked here,
I felt obliged to do so. I'm sure questions about other books would be
handled here in the same way.

Best wishes,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no