[R-sig-Geo] extracting outer boundary in spedep or GeoDa

Alok K. Bohara, PhD bohara at unm.edu
Fri Jan 2 19:11:40 CET 2009

Hi Cory

I saw this message and thought of asking you  a question.  Or anyone
else..  I am new to R and I am trying to learn GeoRglm.  I have used
spdep to read state shape file to extract centroids, neighbors etc...Is
there anyway I can extract just the outer polygon  boundary as a n by 2
text file from such a state shape file?  I tried using GeoDa to export
such a file using a command Shape to  Boundary,  but it gives a file
with boundaries for all the counties (I think).  All I want is the state
outline polygon.

Thanks.
Alok Bohara

"Have you tried just reading the shapefile directly into R using the  readShapePoly command in maptools.  spdep can form the neighbors and  weights matrices from the shapefile, then you don't have to bother
with the export.  Corey"

--
Alok K. Bohara, Ph.D.
Professor