[R-sig-Geo] Open source GIS cataloging software?

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 11 22:48:49 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> Sorry for the cross-posting.  I was wondering if anyone has a unix
> (preferably) or windows program that can spider a directory, recursively
> searching for raster and vector data, and create bounding box polygons
> for each raster/vector it finds, with attributes indicating the
> path-to-file.  Thanks!
>
> --j

Nice idea. I think that a simple python script should be able to do this,
using the gdal/ogr module. Note that the bounding boxes will only be useful
if:
1) the data are all in the same coordinate system
2) the data all contain enough SRS information to convert to a common
coordinate system

I'd ask on the GDAL list.

Dylan

--