[R-sig-Geo] Open source GIS cataloging software?

Michael Sumner mdsumner at utas.edu.au
Wed Feb 11 22:45:05 CET 2009

That is an interesting idea, you could do it with rgdal - but you will
need carefuly handling of directory data sources vs. file data sources,
but that could be a clean up operation once the first pass is done.

The vector and raster drivers will auto-detect the format, so there's no
need to invoke specially for each type. For ease of access to the
greatest number of drivers it might be easiest to use FWTools, and
invoke the command line tools from R and parse their output for more
information.

This R function will list every file, and file.info() can be used to
determine which are folders and so on.

allfiles <- list.files(recursive = TRUE, full.names = TRUE)

ogrinfo and gdalinfo (FWTools) will tell you the layers/rasters present
in a folder. I've been thinking of doing something like this for a
while, so I might have a go at it.

HTH

Regards, Mike