[R-sig-Geo] color category SpatialGridDataFrame SpatialPolygonsDataFrame Corine Land Cover Global Land Cover 2000

Renaud Lancelot renaud.lancelot at cirad.fr
Thu Dec 31 12:07:03 CET 2009

Dear Patrick,

I recently met this issue. I finally used image() on the
SpatialGridDataFrame, defining the appropriate colors using the col
argument (étonnant, non ;-)). I have defined the legend using legend(),
and I used split.screen() to arrange the plots. If you wish, I can send
you the whole stuff (data and code) in a private message (huge datasets).

Renaud

Patrick Giraudoux a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> I am wondering what is the safest way to handle colors when
> SpatialGridDataFrame data are categories. spplot() or image() are
> extremely convenient when attributes are continuous variables or so (eg
> altitude, rainfall, etc...), but the colorRamp() system and the
> col.regions, col arguments, though extremely powerful in other cases, is
> not really adapted to category data such as Corine LandCover or Global
> Land Cover 2000 codes. Thus to link pixels to the right color may be
> quite tedious (however I may have missed something...).
>
> One option I though about was to change raster into shapefile (or
> SpatialGrid into SpatialPolygons objects), but again the straight way to
> get right colors is not evident.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Patrick

Renaud Lancelot
EDEN Project, coordinator
http://www.eden-fp6project.net/
<< EDEN International Conference, Montpellier,  10-12 May 2010 >>
<<   http://international-conference2010.eden-fp6project.net/  >>

UMR CIRAD-INRA "Contrôle des maladies animales exotiques et émergentes"
Joint research unit "Control of emerging and exotic animal diseases"

CIRAD, Campus International de Baillarguet TA A-DIR / B
F34398 Montpellier
http://www.cirad.fr  http://bluetongue.cirad.fr/

Tel.  +33 4 67 59 37 17  -  Fax  +33 4 67 59 37 95
Secr. +33 4 67 59 37 37  - Cell. +33 6 77 52 08 69