[R-sig-Geo] Making web-repository of gridded maps: NetCDF or WKT Raster?

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Wed Dec 16 12:36:56 CET 2009

Dear Edzer, Barry, Servet, and Miguel,

Thank you for your tips and for sharing your experiences with us (R-sig-geo keeps on surprising me
considering the amount of support I get :).

I will dig into the links you have forwarded. Most probably, we will try to implement two/three
paths and then compare them to see which is 'better' (the main issue is that we want to do majority
of processing on the server):

(A) The rasdaman approach (http://kahlua.eecs.jacobs-university.de/trac/rasdaman/wiki/Rasdaman_8.0)
1. Install PostgreSQL support on server and download and install rasdaman File Set;
2. Create a database and put the grids in PostgreSQL database (raslib applications);
3. Test some examples with overlaying, subsetting, resampling, upscaling and visualizing data (WMS,
KML);

(B) The OPeNDAP/NetCDF approach (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html#GDAL)
1. Install OPeNDAP server and UMN Mapserver to serve data;
2. Put all grids into a single (CF)NetCDF file and upload (using WebDAV) to the server;
3. Test some examples (R + GDAL) with overlaying, subsetting, resampling, upscaling and visualizing
the data (WMS, KML);

I will keep you informed once we produce some live examples. We might first start testing a WCPS
with the worldmaps repository (http://spatial-analyst.net/worldmaps/); then develop some examples (R
code) and test flexibility/speed of both approaches.
cheers,

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/