[R-sig-Geo] Making web-repository of gridded maps: NetCDF or WKT Raster?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Dec 14 10:59:55 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Tomislav Hengl
<hengl at spatial-analyst.net> wrote:

> Dear R-sig-geo,
>
> As a part of our project (EcoGRID.nl) we have prepared some 60 thematic
> grids that we use as auxiliary predictors for species distribution modeling.
> At this stage, we would like to put the gridded maps (50/100 m base
> resolution) into some efficient sharable geo-database.

One very random idea for this kind of thing would be to use the
software behind the IRI Data Library:

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/index.html

It has a built in processing language ('ingrid') for manipulating data
on the server before returning it to the client, supports multiple
output map formats, data selection, non-spatial data, high-dimensional
data etc etc. You can map stuff and download it:

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NASA/.GPCP/.V2p1/.AGPI/figviewer.html?plottype=colors

and it's apparently easy to write server-side processing modules to
provide add-on functionality by writing new ingrid functions.

The only problem is that the code behind it doesn't seem to be
available, which is a real shame...

Barry

--
blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/